Homeschooling is a way of teaching for students at home, which is popular among people who don’t trust institutions or blame religious decrement in these institutional advancements. In the wake of the pandemic, we observed that the world is now leading in a different direction at a whole new pace. Covid-19 issue and limited appearance in public places made us realize the importance of the virtual world. This technological advancement somehow stayed connected to the whole world. In these times, the concern of the global population was the academic life of students. Homeschooling is the one solution that gets popular in this duration.
What Does it Mean by Homeschooling?
Homeschooling is the best way to align teaching with pupils’ interests and passion. People prefer it because they think they can better understand their kid’s needs. They can make progress in their development through the proper channel without wastage of time. Millions of students are getting this kind of learning according to their requirements. In his book Teach Your Own in 1980, Holt said that:
“I want to make it clear that I don’t see homeschooling as some kind of answer to badness of schools. I think that the home is the proper base for the exploration of the world which we call learning or education. The home would be the best base no matter how good the schools were.”
Personalization Concept and its Relevance
In the modern methods of education, the most fundamental part is personalized education. Through which student’s interests are their course work got aligned to it. It didn’t only include academic education but also extracurricular activities. It looks into kids’ aptitude for a particular skill or interest set. In 2004, according to Home School Legal Defense Association(HSLDA):
“Many studies over the last few years have established the academic excellence of homeschooled children.”
Homeschooling is not different from regular studies. If a parent or a tutor wants to make significant development in students’ character, he or she has to maintain a disciplined routine. It requires a peaceful setting as well as engaging behavior. Homeschooling started from the first day of a child in this world can be extended to graduation. And it also require the everyday advancing tools for learning which require a lot of resources.
- A student, by personalized education, can boost up the skillset of his specialty.
- In an open and healthy environment, students can learn better and enhance their creative and critical skills.
- Through homeschooling, students can learn at a higher pace. He doesn’t have to wait for others to come along.
- It will make him create expert knowledge on a specific subject.
- He will be safe from bullying or low confidence, imposed by his surroundings.
- Through joining multiple classes or communities by his choices, he can have a multidimensional approach towards life challenges.
- It can be exhausting with kids throughout the day.
- Resource Management is another hurdle in keeping homeschooling worthy. If you have limited resources, you can not meet the advancement of an institute.
- If you are not matching the energy of a kid during a day or you failed to engage with him, this may lead him into an annoying and lonely person.
- If one fails to arrange socialization for a kid, he may become an introvert or sad person.
Though it is crystal clear that the importance of homeschooling or personalized learning can not be denied. This virtual world makes it more feasible to learn accurately. But one has to do a lot of work to make it successful. Institutions have structures and policies which support students’ interests and align with their behavior. The proper division of homeschooling and academic institutions for student’s welfare can bring better results.